ETHAN BROWN TURNS EIGHT: Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Our last grandchild to be baptized was Seth Buhler, nearly one year ago. The upcoming baptism of grandson Ethan Brown is highly anticipated. Rhonda flies to Ohio on Saturday, January 17th, during a long weekend that culminates in a Monday holiday. While the nation celebrates MLK, we begin a week-long celebration of Ethan Hunter Brown. We see Big Hero 6 in the morning, eat lunch at Steak 'n Shake, take a play break at Barnes and Noble, then find seats in a packed theater of kids for a mid-afternoon showing of Paddington Bear.
Ethan is unbelievably excited when he finds an indoor basketball standard at breakfast on Tuesday morning. Colorful banners and a brightly-wrapped pile of presents greatly enhance the festive feel of this important birthday. After a careful process of elimination, Ethan chooses to eat his birthday dinner at Arby's. Then, comes the important business of opening that pile of presents!
 |
Birthday Boy Ethan with Kim at Arby's
|
 |
Time to Unwrap Ethan's Birthday Presents
|
 |
Eight Candles on Birthday Cheesecake
|
 |
Beautiful Allie Enjoys Watching "The Maze Runner"
|
 |
Does Elizabeth know she's a Cutie Pie? You bet she does!
|
Grandpa Gary flies from Houston to Columbus on Friday, January 23rd, and receives a warm airport greeting from Kimberly, William and Rhonda. We collect and load luggage, then drive to Easton for a late lunch at Pei Wei. When we arrive back at the Brown's home, everyone wonders why we aren't hungry for dinner!
 |
Airport Greeting from Kimberly and William on January 23rd
|
 |
Elizabeth Decides Grandpa Gary is A-OK
|
______________________________
ETHAN BROWN IS BAPTIZED: Saturday, January 24, 2015
Ethan is definitely beloved by many. Family and friends gather from the North (Julie and family), South (Williams grandparents), East (Ohio is East, right?) and West (Brown grandparents and Melissa) to attend his baptism. Ethan's baptism service is graced by an abundance of the Spirit -- prompted by thoughtful speakers (including brother Jacob) and beautiful vocal solos by sister Allison and cousin Jessica. A touching video of Ethan's life thus far, set to "I Am a Child of God," is shown while Ethan and Tyler change from their baptismal clothing. This video has been lovingly prepared by Kimberly and brings tears to every eye. Of course, the highlights of this service are the actual baptism and confirmation.
Ethan has always been especially sweet and outgoing -- often reaching out to those who need special attention. One such recipient of Ethan's love is his Primary teacher from 2014. She is on the reclusive side, not often in the forefront of ward activities. In preparing for his baptism, Ethan takes the initiative to ask this teacher to speak on the topic of Baptism -- without Kim's knowledge or consent! As is turns out, a most memorable moment occurs during this teacher's remarks at the baptism. When she mentions that she has looked forward to a big hug from Ethan at Primary each week and will miss his hugs now that he's in another class, Ethan leaves his seat, walks up to his former teacher at the front of the room and gives her a huge hug! What's not to love about this sweet boy?!!
 |
Ethan and Tyler Prior to Baptism
|
 |
Kimberly, Tyler, Ethan and the Brown Kids
|
 |
Ethan with Julie, Josh and the Dyal Kids (and Spencer's girlfriend, Alyssa)
|
 |
Ethan with Gary, Rhonda and the Williams Girls
|
 |
Grandpa Gary with Jessica
|
 |
Ethan with Family Members from North, South, East and West
|
 |
Post-baptism Dinner at Red Robin
|
Rhonda hitches a ride with the Dyals from Columbus to Detroit on Sunday evening. We actually drive through the center of Winter Storm Juno, which doubles the length of the trip. Along the way, we see many cars that have slid off I-75. Thanks to Josh, we arrive safely in Canton around 9:00 pm on Sunday evening! We unpack and ready ourselves for the big week ahead.
Gary spends Sunday night at the Airport Fairfield Inn in Columbus, then flies home to Texas on Monday afternoon.
Thanks, Kim and Tyler, for being such gracious hosts during our time with you! We love you and each of your cute kids so very much!!
______________________________
FUN IN MICHIGAN WITH JULIE AND COMPANY: January 25-31, 2015
Columbus was cold, but Canton is absolutely freezing, with wind chills near zero. I admire Jessica, who ventures out in the dark each morning to head for 5:45 a.m. seminary! I grew up in Utah and trudged through snow to school on many freezing mornings, but I've definitely adapted to much more moderate winters during these past 26 years in central Texas. It will always be a thrill, though, whenever I get the chance to sit next to a window to watch it snow!
I thoroughly enjoy spending time with Julie, who has cleared much of her busy schedule for my stay. Julie babysits two or three small children each weekday. Their names are Baby Spencer (11 mos.), Avery and Aubrey (2 yrs.). Each morning, we take them somewhere to play -- McDonald's, Jungle Java, IKEA, Twelve Oaks Mall -- then eat lunch out. Each afternoon, we take the children home to nap, while we watch a feature-length DVD. It's a very nice, relaxing time.
 |
Krogering with Julie, Aubrey, Avery and Baby Spencer
|
 |
Julie with Baby Spencer and Aubrey at Twelve Oaks Mall
|
On Tuesday night, we attend concerts at Achieve Charter School, featuring Logan's 6th grade band and Alex's 8th grade band. Logan plays the clarinet and Alex plays drums and other instruments in the percussion section. It's great to finally hear Logan and Alex perform! I enjoy every minute. After the concert, Josh and the kids leave for mutual. Julie and I are suddenly footloose and fancy free. We make a spur-of-the-moment decision to see "Into the Woods," arriving at Emagine Theater in Canton just minutes before the movie begins. It's a great place with overstuffed, reclining seats -- complete with footrests. (Also the perfect place to catch some ZZZZZs, if the movie gets dull...) Tuesday is free popcorn night! Julie also treats us each to a Diet Coke.
 |
Logan Awaits His Turn
|
 |
Logan's 6th Grade Band in Action!
|
 |
Alex Awaits His Turn
|
 |
Alex's 8th Grade Band in Action!
|
The week is over before I know it. It's a school week and I've failed to take many photos of the Dyal kids. I mention this in a late text to Julie on Friday night, as I plug in my phone before bed. I suddenly realize that we've all had a full evening together -- gone out for dinner, shopped for Grandma gifts, watched a DVD -- all without taking a single picture. :-(
Julie wakes the kids bright and early Saturday morning, just before I leave for the airport, so I can take their pictures. They look really tired, so I hope they go back to bed and get more sleep!
 |
Wake Up, Logan, Jessica and Alex! Grandma Wants to Take Your Picture!!
|
 |
How Does Julie Look So Great this Early?
|
You are so sweet Julie! When I look at you, I still see my adorable newborn, as well as my gorgeous little girl. No surprise that you have grown into a beautiful woman.
 |
Three-year-old Julie on Her First Day of Sunday School
|
Thanks a million for taking this break from so much of your daily grind
and other commitments to spend time with me! As usual, it's a blast to
be with you and your family! Always remember that I love you very
much!!